After what feels like decades of trickled teasers and leaks, the OnePlus Nord finally broke cover this month. While the companyâ€™s exuberant pre-launch efforts have come under scrutiny, thereâ€™s no denying that the phone is a tantalizing prospect on paper.
Balancing affordability with features has always been a tough cocktail for companies building modern mid-rangers. But is it hot, or not?
We asked you if youâ€™d swipe right on the OnePlus Nord, and this is what you had to say.
OnePlus Nord: Hot or Not?
If we used a temperature scale, the OnePlus Nord wouldâ€™ve set this poll on fire. Of the nearly 29,000 votes cast, just under 70% of you believe that the OnePlus Nord is â€œHot.â€� Thatâ€™s a decidedly clear victory for the companyâ€™s new mid-ranger.
Itâ€™s pretty clear why so many praise this device. It hits the mark on some key and trending specifications, including a display with a 90Hz refresh rate, a total of six cameras, up to 256GB of storage, and a dizzying amount of RAM in some guises. The Snapdragon 765G also strikes a good compromise between performance and price, perfect for a Â£379 device. Despite this, buyers also get a phone that can outperform the OnePlus 7T Pro in certain instances.
However, the Nord isnâ€™t exactly a cheap phone. The 28.9% of you who voted â€œNotâ€� berate the phoneâ€™s lack of an IP rating, wireless charging, and a headphone port. Its questionable selfie camera performance and reported screen tinting issues donâ€™t help its case either.
The lack of a wide US release is likely another bitter pill to swallow for potential buyers, but this is largely a mark on OnePlus than the device itself. Arguably, the Nord also has a lopsided specs sheet, especially if you value battery capacity over the RAM or camera numbers.
Hereâ€™s what you had to say
- VJ: Hot maybe price wise. But not in the looks. That Left aligned huge pill cutout is a turn off.
- Tony Talks: North America gets some half assed limited beta release. Love the specs but with no availability I donâ€™t care.
- AndroidBR: This phone couldâ€™ve been much better. OnePlus is still testing the waters on how little they can invest and still get away with, without putting too much thought in R&D, bill of materials, features and final asking price. Iâ€™m not too impressed with what theyâ€™re offering for the money here. Some key features they deliberately left out vs the price point they are choosing to sell this phone for.
- Andrew Zoo: No headphone jack no deal. Get a Galaxy A51/71 instead.
- Raj Bhatt: The poll is too simple. Itâ€™s hot in the fact that Googleâ€™s mid-range Pixel plans for 2020 will likely offer less value than the OP Nord. Itâ€™s not hot in the fact that some simple features like even a minimal dust or water resistant rating where skipped.
- Sahil Roy: OnePlusâ€™s OS is the only differentiating factor between host of other Chinese OEMs, like Oppo, Vivo, Xiaomi, Realme. Personally, I will wait for Pixel 4a and get best camera out there. Itâ€™s beyond me why Google doesnâ€™t get the hardware right in spite of such strong R&D and loads of money. The shiny plastic edge, low grade cameras apart from primary lens and camera which just about does the job, break the deal for me.
Thatâ€™s it for this poll roundup. Thank you for your votes and comments. Be sure to let us know what you think about the results in the comments below!