Although the Nintendo Switch has been out for three years, it already has an impressive library of games. But donâ€™t let that fool you into thinking that the consoleâ€™s best days are behind it. In fact, many classic first-party Nintendo franchises are yet to make an appearance. Additionally, many highly-anticipated sequels and intriguing indies are also headed to the platform very soon.
Below is our selection of the best new Nintendo Switch games you need to on the lookout for in the near future.
New Nintendo Switch games
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sequel
Release date: TBD
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild took the world by storm when it launched alongside the Nintendo Switch in 2017. An atmospheric open-world adventure, this entry in the Legend of Zelda series reimagined and expanded the kingdom of Hyrule. It is now the best-selling Zelda game ever released. Many fans were hoping for a sequel, but few expected one to be announced so soon. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 was unveiled at last yearâ€™s E3 with a short teaser.
Little is known about the game yet, save for the fact that it will be a direct continuation of the Breath of the Wild. Nevertheless, the sequel promises to be darker not only than its predecessor but than most other Zelda games. Fans are already likening the Breath of the Wild 2 to Majoraâ€™s Mask based on just the short teaser trailer. There is also speculation that Zelda herself might be a playable character this time around. The teaser also seems to hint at the return of the seriesâ€™ classic villain, Ganondorf.
But when can we expect The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2? This is another unknown and although some speculate that the game will be out for the 2020 holiday season, at this point itâ€™s more likely it will make its debut sometime in 2021.
2. New PokÃ©mon Snap
Release date: TBD
The original PokÃ©mon Snap was a simple game with a simple premise: take photos of PokÃ©mon in their natural habitat.
Released on the Nintendo N64, Snap was a surprise hit, selling more than 1 million copies. PokÃ©mon Snap was relaxing and imaginative, but it also forced players to think outside of the box to score maximum style points with eachâ€¦ snap.
Related: 10 best PokÃ©mon games for Android
Now, after more than 20 years, the game is getting its long-awaited sequel. In development by Bandai Namco, New PokÃ©mon Snap promises to keep the spirit of the original game. Players can hop right back in Zero-One and begin their adventure through dense jungles and clear tropical waters.
There are some new things we can glean from the short teaser, however. New PokÃ©mon Snap will have a wider variety of habitats and PokÃ©mon. Every generation seems to be represented, but we donâ€™t think all 809 creatures will be making an appearance.
3. Metroid Prime 4
Release date: TBD
Metroid is one of Nintendoâ€™s oldest and most storied franchises, first appearing on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). Metroid has since earned a legendary status, even inspiring its own co-genre in Metroidvania. The franchise made the jump from 2D to 3D with Metroid Prime on the Gamecube. Two sequels followed, but now fans are eagerly awaiting the fourth installment.
See also: The best free Nintendo Switch games
Unfortunately, we know little to nothing about Metroid Prime 4 yet. Its first teaser, if you can call it that, was shown at E3 2017, but little else has materialized since. What we do know is that the game was being developed by an unknown studio but has since then been scrapped and passed back to Retro Studios â€” the original developers behind the Prime trilogy.
Due to all the development changes, Metroid Prime 4 isnâ€™t expected to release until 2021 or beyond, but as far as new Nintendo Switch games go, itâ€™s still one of ones we are most excited about.
4. Bayonetta 3
Release date: TBD
If there is a game series that epitomizes the spectacle fighter genre, it would be Bayonetta. The titular shapeshifting witch made her first appearance more than a decade ago, stunning audiences with her demon-summoning hair and unique combat abilities.
Now, she is set to return exclusively on the Nintendo Switch, guns blazing. The game is being developed by PlatinumGames, the studio responsible for the first two installments. Unfortunately, this is pretty much all that we know so far. The first Bayonetta 3 teaser trailer was released three years ago and the studio has stayed silent since.
5. Hollow Knight: Silksong
Release date: TBD
One of the most popular indies of recent years, Hollow Knight, is getting a sequel. Originally planned as a DLC, Hollow Knight: Silksong transformed into a full-fledged game in the development process. The sequel to the smash hit indie will see players take control of a new character called Hornet. She might resemble the nameless knight in appearance, but she has a different skillset and weapon-crafting abilities.
Related: The best Nintendo Switch accessories
The setting is new too. Team Cherry shared that Silksong will be an â€œinversion on the Hollow Knight themeâ€�: ascending to the top of a new kingdom instead of exploring forgotten depths. On her way up, Hornet will meet plenty of enemies, but also many friendly NPCs. Better yet, they will be able to ask for her help and send her on quests.
Hollow Knight: Silksong does not have an official release date yet, but it will debut on the Nintendo Switch as a console exclusive alongside PC/Mac platforms.
6. Sports Story
Release date: 2020
The name Sports Story is pretty unassuming, so you would be forgiven if it wasnâ€™t on your radar, but it should be! It follows in the footsteps of Golf Story; a charming pixelated RPG littered with fun characters, witty writing, and some bizarre golfing challenges.
The same seems to be true about Sports Story. â€œA game about sports, but not always,â€� it promises to take you on adventures through tennis courts, golf courses, but also magical dungeons and goat-infested abandoned buildings.
If youâ€™ve enjoyed bizarre and funny RPGs like Earthbound or Undertale in the past, youâ€™ll want to keep an eye on Sports Story. The game was initially set to be released in mid-2020, but we expect it to come out before the end of the year.
New Nintendo Switch games: Honorable mentions
With so many new Nintendo Switch games on the horizon, weâ€™ve put together a list of honorable mentions that were just edged out.
- Doom Eternal â€” Everyoneâ€™s favorite demon extermination sim is already out on multiple platforms, but itâ€™s expected to arrive on the Nintendo Switch soon.
- Bravely Default II ÂÂ â€” From the developers of Octopath Traveler and the first Bravely Default comes another retro-inspired turn-based JRPG with four new quirky characters.
- Spiritfarer â€” A management sim in which you play a ferrymaster to the dead. As you traverse the open waters, you will find and befriend spirits before giving them one last ride into the afterlife.
- Eastward â€” Post-apocalyptic worlds donâ€™t always have to dark and gritty. Eastward is a charming RPG which invites you into a colorful wasteland, full of puzzles, mystery, and strange characters.
- Super Meat Boy Forever â€” Team Meatâ€™s incredibly challenging platformer is about to get even more difficult in Super Meat Boy Forever. One to watch if you want to test out your platforming chops.
- Axiom Verge 2 â€” A sequel to the gold standard for Metroidvania indie games. Axiom Verge 2 is set in a new world, but it promises to be just as engaging and challenging as its predecessor.
- Overwatch 2 â€” Blizzardâ€™s hero shooter was an instant hit and we donâ€™t doubt the same will apply to Overwatch 2 when it arrives on the Nintendo Switch.
- Gods & Monsters â€” From the creators of Assassinâ€™s Creed Odyssey, Gods and Monster is a fantastical tale filled with mythological creatures and Greek gods.
- No More Heroes 3 â€” Travis Touchdown returns in style for another hack and slash adventure in Santa Destroy.
- Shin Megami Tensei V â€” The latest entry in this classic JRPG franchise will take you for a wild ride in its fifth installment, leaving the fate of the world in your hands.
These are our picks for the best new Nintendo Switch games coming soon. Weâ€™ll update this list as games are released and new titles are announced.