Your bi-monthly dose of tech industry and developer news, brought to you by the Gary Explains Newsletter
Windows on Arm only needs one thing to become great: Linux, macOS, and Windows all run on Arm-based processors. However, Windows on Arm is currently the weakest solution of the three. There is one thing that could make Windows on Arm great. (YouTube)
The Basics: What is the Cloud? As part of my â€œThe Basicsâ€� series, here is a look at the nebulous term called â€œthe cloud.â€� What is it and how does it affect you? (YouTube)
Does Microsoft have a compiler problem that makes Linux faster? While developing my new benchmark, Speed Test G PC, I noticed the results were much slower on Windows compared to Linux. Hereâ€™s why! (YouTube)
Speed Test G battles
Google Pixel 4a vs OnePlus Nord: Two of the most important mid-range phones of 2020 are the Pixel 4a and the OnePlus Nord. They both use Snapdragon 700-series processor, but the chip in the Nord is probably faster. But â€œprobablyâ€� isnâ€™t how we work around here. Letâ€™s test them and find out!
Google Pixel 4a vs Google Pixel 4: Google has released its latest mid-range device, the Google 4a. As a mid-range device, it has less processing power than the premium Google Pixel 4. But how much less? Letâ€™s find out by testing the Pixel 4 with the Pixel 4a.
OnePlus Nord vs OnePlus 8: The OnePlus Nord uses the Snapdragon 765G, whereas its bigger sibling, the OnePlus 8, uses the Snapdragon 865. Snapdragon 700-series versus the 800-series. Of course, there are other differences between these two devices, but the question is: how much faster is the OnePlus 8? Letâ€™s find out.
OnePlus Nord vs Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Can the Snapdragon 765G in the OnePlus Nord compete fairly with the Snapdragon 845 in the Galaxy Note 9?
Nerds only need apply
- IBM takes Power10 processors down to 7nm with Samsung, due to ship by end of 2021: These new processors pack 18 billion transistors into a 602mm2 die, and up to 15 cores that can be used for compute.
- Google Pixel 4a 5G: Everything we know so far: Despite its name, it wonâ€™t just be a Pixel 4a with 5G support.
- Microsoft Surface Duo shown off in 30-minute press video: Curious about what the unique hinged device can do? This video covers a lot of it.
- Everything you wanted to know about satellites (but were too afraid to ask): A crash course on satellites: their history, where in the world they are, and how they send and receive data.
- Floppy disks refuse to die: Boeing 747s still use them to get critical software updates.
- Malware Reverse Engineering Handbook : An overview of how to analyze malware executables that are targeting the Windows platform.
- Major Apple assembler Foxconn says Chinaâ€™s â€œdays as the worldâ€™s factory are done.â€�
- Building DIY LED strips for fun: LEDs are amazing. Theyâ€™re incredibly bright while also using low power.
- Nvidia teases August 31 event countdown ahead of rumored RTX 3080 Ampere GPUs.
- Dell has a spicy new business-focused Chromebook: the Latitude 7410, with high-end specs, extra security, and a 2-in-1 configuration.Â
Need a power bank for your smartphone? Try the Anker PowerCore 20100mAh. Itâ€™s an ultra high-capacity power bank with 4.8A output and PowerIQ technology. Itâ€™s highly rated on Amazon, too.
Code Windows apps, software, and more with this top in-demand, versatile language bundle, which includes 11 courses and more than 89 hours of training. The bundle includes:
- C# Programming from Zero to Hero: The Fundamentals
- A 20-Hour C# 6.0 Course with Web Forms & Intro to Unity
- C#: The Complete Foundation
- C# Performance Tricks: How To Radically Speed Up Your Code